Mom Illustrated

Mayhem, Momics and More

Sleeping With the Enemy

Posted on | March 9, 2011 | 8 Comments

When Jack was first born, we had him “sleeping” (hah) in a bassinet beside our bed. It wasn’t by choice necessarily, there just simply wasn’t enough room in our double IKEA bed. There was barely enough room while I was pregnant.
But when he was a few months old, we moved from our small, but cozy, apartment in the city to an under-renovation house in our hometown during one of the coldest winters the West Coast had seen in years.
Jack had just outgrown his bassinet, so while we were settling, couch surfing and just trying to keep warm, Jack moved into the bed with us.
This was fine with us as I wasn’t into navigating the stairs to Jack’s room in the middle of the night.

We were both fine with it at first, imagining a cozy family snuggling down for the winter.

_______________________________________________________________
Little did we know what we were getting ourselves into.

_______________________________________________________________
Needless to say, we ordered a crib and a radiator sooner than planned and moved the little bugger out of there as quickly as possible.

Navigating stairs in the middle of the night was juuuust fine.

How are your nights?

Comments

8 Responses to “Sleeping With the Enemy”

1. sarah roberts
    March 9th, 2011 @ 9:25 am

Coifed . . .

Yer a genius, but what we really wanna know is, got your girl yet?????

2. Jana
    March 9th, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Nope! No beebee.
    Both Google and my adobe spell checker liked the double ffs just thaaat much better so that’s what I went with.

3. Janaya Fuller-Evans
    March 9th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

Two fs are better than one, I always say.

We co-slept with M for 2.5 years. He was hungry all the time. The only way I got any sleep that first year was by blinking for long periods while he slept beside me.

I will point out that M’s parents are no longer together. I’m not blaming the co-sleeping, buuuuut….
    Yeah. The lack of personal space, combined with the constant alertness required (“Don’t kill the baby, don’t kill the baby”), was not so healthy for our relationship.

I’ve known people who loved it. Possibly they are much less selfish than me, or they are magical angels who float above the covers, thereby never worrying about their babies being in peril. I have no idea. I was too sleepy at the time to ask anybody.

Signed,
    Ms. Rests-a-lot (now)

4. Jana
    March 9th, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

I’m still amazed at parents who are able to do this and it works for them. Kudos. Not us though. Even Jack doesn’t get a good sleep next to us. Plus how do you read comics before passing out with a baby next to you?

(I did have a cat that was worse to sleep with than Jack but I was a teenager then, and could always sleep when I got to school.)

5. Sarah roberts
    March 9th, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

Hmm, I think my comment was misunderstood …

A) I was just enjoying your joke about coiffed hair.
    B) I am the worst spellor in the werld.
    C) I truly think you are a genius …. Been giggling all day about ‘sleeping with perfectly coiffed hair’, not to mention those tshirt logos ….

6. Pamela
    March 9th, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

Yeah, we didn’t do the co-sleeping thing, but I’m kind of a sprawler. I don’t even like having my dog sleep with us so she’s mostly been kicked out now. And to be honest, I never sleep as well as I do when my husband’s out of town and I have the bed allllll to myself (like right now). :-)

7. Sara
    March 9th, 2011 @ 11:48 pm

Oh, the torture that is co sleeping. With both boys I did it for their first five months because it was the only way to get any sleep at all. Then at 5 months I gradually move them into their cribs, which is a painful process! But no more so than the alternative. I tend to need my sleep, or I end up making the entire family miserable with my less than sunny disposition.

8. Michelle
    March 23rd, 2011 @ 11:59 pm

LMAO!! Perfectly coiffed hair, indeed. You should do a webcomic with characters and everything. Your art is so stylized that it would be easy to spot without a signature, I think. The family scenes are cute, yet edgy.